Aloo Matar (Potato and Green Peas in Tomato Gravy) is a hot spicy gravy that suits well with all types of rice, chappati, naan and poori. I blend tomatoes to get nice colour and taste of the gravy. Also fresh green peas taste better in tomato gravy.
- Fresh green peas – 1 cup
- Potato – 2 no
- Juicy tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Coriander leaves few – for garnishing
- For seasoning
- Fennel seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 no (one inch long each)
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Blend tomatoes in a blender; chop onion and green chilli; peel and cut potatoes into cubes.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning.
- Then add onion, green chilli and fry till onion is red in colour.
- Now add ginger garlic paste, all dry masalas, salt and fry for few seconds.
- Add blended tomato and mix well.
- Now add potato, peas and some water.
- Mix, cook well till potato and peas are soft and the gravy gets thick (I kept potato and peas for 4 minutes in microwave oven to save time and then added); add some coriander leaves and mix well.
- Garnish with remaining coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice, chappati.
- Fresh green peas taste better.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!