The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) gives information on Food Safety.
The FSIS of USDA creates an awareness among the consumers about safe food handling
- through FSIS’s Virtual Representative ‘Karen’ available 24/7.
- “Ask Karen” is an automated system with a knowledge base on subjects like
- preventing food-borne illness.
- safe food handling and storage.
- safe preparation of meat, poultry and egg products.
‘Ask Karen’ is now available as a free application in smartphones. I have installed this application in my Android Smartphone from Android Market. In addition to accessing information on food safety, we can ‘chat’ and also send ‘email’ to clarify specific doubts if any on food safety.
Read more from USDA News Release No 0200.11
Also view a video clip: USDA Introduces Mobile Ask Karen – Food Safety on your Smartphone