Here is a tasty Poriyal using Avarakkai and Verkadalai. Even those (including children) who don’t like beans, will find this attractive as peanuts are used in this side dish. This can be prepared with any other variety of beans too.
Broad beans are known as Avarakkai in Tamil and peanuts are known as Verkadalai in Tamil.
- Broad beans chopped – 250 grams
- Chopped onion – 1 table spoon
- Peanut Skinned and roasted – 2 table spoon
- Grated coconut – 2 table spoon
- Garlic peeled – 2 cloves
- Red chilli – 3 no
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal –½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Grind together red chilli, garlic, half of peanuts coarsely in a blender and keep this masala aside.
- Do the seasoning in a pan; add chopped onions and fry till it turns transparent; add chopped broad beans, salt and remaining peanuts.
- Sprinkle handful of water, mix well, cover and cook till beans are done.
- Now add ground masala, grated coconut and mix well.
- Cook for few seconds and remove.
- Serve as a side dish for rice and chappati.