Preparation time: approximately 15 to 16 hours.
Ingredients for Idli and Dosa batter
- Boiled rice – 4 cup (sold in the market as idly rice)
- Split Black gram (urad dal) – 1 cup
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt – 1 tea spoon approximately
- Wash, soak rice and keep it in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash, soak black gram along with fenugreek and keep it in water for 4 to 5 hours (even less about 1–2 hours).
- Drain water, grind the dal and fenugreek to a fluffy and smooth paste by adding water as required.
- Then grind the rice with salt to a mild coarse paste.
- Mix both rice and dal pastes and stir well.
- Keep this mix for at least 10 hours for fermentation.
- After fermentation, stir it nicely.
- Use larger vessel to avoid overflow while the mix ferments.
- In winter it takes longer time (12 to 14 hours) to ferment and during summer it takes lesser time (9 to 10 hours)
This is the basic batter needed to make Idli, Dosa and Utthappam etc.