Brinjal also known as eggplant, is a wonderful vegetable. Variety of dishes like Vangi Bath, Baingan Bartha, Ennai Kathrikai Kuzhambu can be prepared with brinjal. Now I have prepared Brinjal Garlic Masala with whole garlic. This dish can be prepared with any type of purple, green, or white brinjal.
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Brinjal – 6 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Garlic cloves – 8 to 10
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ¼ tea spoon
- Aniseed – ¼ tea spoon
- Cumin – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Cut brinjal lengthwise and put it in water; peel garlic; chop onion, tomato, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Heat a pan, add 2 tea spoon oil and do the seasoning; add whole garlic, green chilli, curry leaves and fry for few seconds; add chopped onion, fry till onion is transparent; add chopped tomato, fry for few seconds; add salt, dry masala and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add brinjal, mix well, sprinkle handful of water; close and cook for 10 minutes or till brinjal is cooked well; in between stir and if needed sprinkle some water to cook.
- Eggplant masala with garlic is ready. Serve with Rice or Chapatti.
Do not brown or over-fry whole garlic.