Broken wheat is also called as ‘wheat rava’ and ‘bulgur wheat’. Broken wheat is a good source of dietary fiber. Whole wheat is cleaned, par-boiled, dried and ground according to size to make it as wheat rava. As wheat rava is not refined/polished, it retains its full nutritive value. Broken wheat is a good source of manganese, thiamine, niacin iron, zinc and carbohydrates. You can make upma, pongal etc with this.
Here I prepared upma with broken wheat and vegetables.
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes approximately
- Broken wheat – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Carrot chopped heaped – 1 table spoon
- Green peas heaped– 1 table spoon
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Green chilli chopped – 2 no
- Ginger chopped – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Bengal gram – ½ tea spoon
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Asafetida – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Clean and roast wheat rava till nice aroma comes from it.
- Do the seasoning, add chopped onion, green chilli, curry leaves, ginger and fry well; add chopped carrot, peas and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water, salt and boil it in low flame, till carrot and peas are half cooked; add roasted wheat rava, mix well, close with a lid and cook till wheat rava is soft.
- Serve hot with Fusion Chutney.
Roasting the wheat rava is to avoid stickiness in upma.