The advantages highlighted are:
- Butter & Heart Disease
- Butter & Cancer
- Butter as a source of natural nutrients
- Butter & Immune System
- Butter & Osteoporosis/Arthritis
- Butter & Digestibility
But the advertisement, did not highlight how much butter is too much to eat.
Fat in our food:
- Our food has two main types of fat – saturated and unsaturated.
- Both type of fats have same amount of calories.
- Butter has saturated fat. As saturated fat can increase our cholesterol (thus increasing the risk of heart disease), it is better to reduce intake of food that is high in saturated fat.
- Instead we can eat food, that are rich in unsaturated fat (like nuts, seeds, sunflower oil, olive oil etc.,)
Then how much saturated fat is too much to eat ?
- For average men, it is not more than 30 grams a day.
- For average women, it is not more than 20 grams a day.
Read more from NHS Choices: Fat – the facts.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!