Capsicum needs no further introduction as I have discussed in Stuffed Capsicum (Shimla Mirchi). Here is Capsicum Rice which is easy and takes less time to prepare.
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: 20 minutes approximately
- Cooked rice – 3 ½ to 4 cup
- Capsicum – 3 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Coconut grated – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Roast and dry powder
- Coriander seeds – 1 table spoon
- Bengal gram – 1 table spoon
- Red chilli – 4 no
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Cook rice as grains separated; if it is sticky, cool and apply one tea spoon of oil and toss.
- Chop capsicum and onion finely; dry roast the grated coconut to golden colour; dry roast and powder items given.
- Do the seasoning in a pan, add chopped onion fry till transparent; add capsicum, turmeric, salt and cook in open pan.
- When capsicum is soft, add fried coconut, dry ground masala and mix well.
- Switch off gas and add cooked rice; mix well gently.
- Serve with any raitha and roasted papad.
Do not cook capsicum in closed pan as water will accumulate and capsicum will be soggy. Capsicum should be fried well.