Carrot even though belongs to root vegetable, is rich in vitamin A and is good for eyesight. Other than carotene, it has other essential minerals and vitamins. It can be eaten raw or cooked. Eating one raw carrot daily, keeps our teeth and eyes in good condition.
Carrot payasam is everybody’s favourite. I prepare this dish during ‘Dasara (Navarathri)’ as one of the nine types of Payasam (Kheer) as ‘neivethdiyam’. It is simple but delicious. Payasam or Kheer is a very comfortable dish to prepare in less time. In micro cooking it is still easier and it takes only 8 minutes to cook.
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- Carrot medium size – 3 no
- Condensed milk – ½ cup
- Milk – 1½ cup
- Chopped nuts – few
- Sugar – 1 table spoon
- Cardamom – 4 no
- Ghee – ½ tea spoon
I did cooking in 100 percentage microwave power. I used one square micro proof dish.
- Powder cardamom; wash, peel carrot and cut into thin round slices; spread this in micro safe dish, pour ½ cup milk, cover partially and cook in microwave on high for 3 minutes; cool and blend this in a blender.
- Now in the same dish put the ground carrot paste and ghee; mix well and cook in microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Now add one cup milk, condensed milk, cardamom powder and sugar; mix well and cook in microwave on high for 4 minutes; stir in between.
- Switch off microwave oven, wait for 2 minutes as standing time.
- Now Carrot payasam is ready; remove, garnish with nuts and serve.
Instead of carrot, beetroot can also be used.
This post is part of the event ‘Microwave Easy Cooking Potluck Party September 2009‘ organised by Cooking 4 all Seasons.