Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
- Onion – 2 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Ginger – 1½ inch piece
- Coriander and curry leaves – few
- Red chilli –2 no
- Green chilli –2 no
- Asafetida (hing) powder – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Chana dal (Bengal gram or Kadalai paruppu) – ½ cup
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Chop onions, tomatoes, ginger.
- Grate coconut.
- Heat fry pan, add one teaspoon of oil.
- Add chana dal, red chilli, green chilli, hing powder and fry till light golden colour.
- Add grated coconut, chopped ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and fry for one more minute.
- Now add chopped onions & tomato, fry till onions are slightly transparent.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- Grind the mix with salt.
- Give the seasoning and is now ready to serve.
Chana dal chutney goes well with Idli, Dosa, Chapatti, Puri.
- Grind the mix only after cooling.
- Do not add too much water while grinding to avoid watery chutney.