Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
- Onion – 2 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Ginger – 1½ inch piece
- Coriander and curry leaves – few
- Red chilli –2 no
- Green chilli –2 no
- Asafetida (hing) powder – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Chana dal (Bengal gram or Kadalai paruppu) – ½ cup
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Chop onions, tomatoes, ginger.
- Grate coconut.
- Heat fry pan, add one teaspoon of oil.
- Add chana dal, red chilli, green chilli, hing powder and fry till light golden colour.
- Add grated coconut, chopped ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and fry for one more minute.
- Now add chopped onions & tomato, fry till onions are slightly transparent.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- Grind the mix with salt.
- Give the seasoning and is now ready to serve.
Chana dal chutney goes well with Idli, Dosa, Chapatti, Puri.
- Grind the mix only after cooling.
- Do not add too much water while grinding to avoid watery chutney.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!