Cluster beans, a green vegetable is rich in fiber. India is the largest producer of cluster beans. Though it is slightly bitter in taste, tender cluster beans can be prepared as stir fry/curry by mixing with other vegetables. Here is Cluster Beans with Potato Stir Fry.
Cluster beans is known as Kothavarangai/ Kothavarakkai (கொத்தவரங்காய்/ கொத்தவரக்காய்) in Tamil and is known as gawaar in Hindi.
- Cluster beans chopped – 3 cups approximately
- Potato – 2 no
- Onion medium – 2 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Turmeric powder – quarter teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – half teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- For seasoning
- Mustard – half teaspoon
- Carom seeds – quarter teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – half teaspoon
- Asafetida – generous pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Boil cluster beans till soft (I did it in microwave oven).
- Peel and chop potato, onion; chop green chilli and tomato.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; add chopped green chilli, curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and stir fry till onion is pink.
- Add chopped potatoes and stir fry for few minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and fry for few seconds; add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt.
- Mix well and add handful of water; cover and cook till potato is soft.
- Add boiled cluster beans and mix well; adjust consistency as per your need by sprinkling water; cook for 3 to 4 minutes till all spices blend together.
- Now Cluster Beans with Potato Stir Fry is ready. Serve hot with rice or chapatti.
- Before using cluster beans for cooking, it is better to cut both ends slightly and then chop.
- Seasoning with carom seeds (ajwain, omam – ஓமம்) helps to improve digestion and taste of the dish.