Coconut Rice is a traditional dish of south India and comes in the group of variety rice. It is cooked with grated coconut and with some spices. Among all the variety rice, I feel this can be called as the king of variety rice for its rich taste. Some people use dried coconut (copra/kopra) but fresh coconut gives a better taste with some nuts.
Coconut rice is also prepared on special occasions and during some festivals. It is also a preferred dish of children for lunch box.
Serves: 4 to 5
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooked rice – 4 cups
- Grated coconut – 2 cups
- Chopped onion – 1 (optional)
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Green chilli chopped – 2 no
- Bengal gram – 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Mustared – ½ tea spoon
- Ginger chopped – ½ tea spoon
- Cashewnut – few (optional)
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – generous pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Sesame oil/any oil – 2 tea spoon
- Cook rice making sure the grains are loose and separated (not sticky); if not add few drops of oil, toss it, keep for 5 minutes and then use.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard and let it splutter well; add urad dal, bengal gram, cashew nut, red chilli, asafetida fry and for few seconds; add green chilli, ginger, curry leaves and fry for few secods; now add onion, salt and fry for few minutes till onion is fried to golden colour; now add grated coconut and fry for few minutes; switch of gas, add cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve Coconut Rice with any vegetable kootu and fried papad.
If you desire, you can add some peanuts in this.
This post is part of the event “EFM Theme – Variety Rice Series” hosted by SriLekha of Me and My Kitchen.