Raitha’s basic ingredient is curd that is seasoned with spices and herbs. Indian cuisines are very much spicy and to compensate it there are variety of raithas. They are simple and easy to prepare and they give cooling effect after eating. Raithas taste good if they are chilled and served.
Here is simple Cucumber Onion Raitha. Cucumber is called as Vellarikkai in Tamil.
Cooking time: 5 to 10 minutes
- Cucumber – 1 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Fresh curd – 1 cup
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander leaves – few
- Black salt/Table salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 tea spoon (optional)
- Peel and chop finely cucumber, onion; add this in curd with other spices; mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled with fried rice, variety rice, pulao, chappati.
- Green chilli and tomato can also be added in this raitha.
This post is part of the event “Carnival of Salads” hosted by Sudeshna Banerjee of Cook Like a Bong.