Double bean is a bean variety and is also called as lima bean. They are starchy and have a buttery texture that is why some people call this as butter beans. They come in two colours white and purple. Like any other bean, they are packed with minerals and dietary fiber. Fresh lima beans are available during winter season. Fresh ones are tastier than the dried ones. Dried lima beans need soaking before cooking. They look bigger than the other bean variety and become further bigger after soaking. Here I have prepared a delicious lima bean masala using dried ones.
Cooking time: 35 minutes approximately except soaking time
- Double beans – 200 gm (soak it for 8 to 10 hours)
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 table spoon
- Coriander/curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For dry grinding
- Coconut – 1/8th of coconut
- Aniseeds – 1 tea spoon
- Green chilli – 1 no
- For seasoning
- Cinnamon, small sticks – 2 to 3 no
- Cloves – 3 no
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Soak double beans for 8 to 10 hours; wash, pressure cook with a pinch of turmeric and few drops of oil for 3 to 4 whistles or till soft; drain water and keep the water for further use.
- Chop onion, tomato and curry/coriander leaves; dry grind the items given.
- Heat a pan, add oil and do the seasoning; add chopped onion, fry until soft and transparent; add tomato, ginger garlic paste and fry for a while; add all dry masala powder, mix well, stir for few seconds.
- Add drained water from cooked double beans and salt; now add ground masala, mix well, bring to boil.
- Add cooked beans; let the water evaporate so that double beans can absorb salt and masalas; when the curry is with little moisture, switch off gas; add coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or chappati.
- Coconut amount can be varied as per your taste.
- No need to soak if you are using fresh double (lima) bean.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!