During summer season, most of the women at home prepare vadams, vathals, pickles and papads. The practice of making these at home is reducing as most of the women are employed and have no time to prepare. Also as most of us live in apartments, access to direct sunlight for longer hours is difficult that discourages to prepare these at home. To make it further easier, these are conveniently available in stores.
Though I don’t make these vadams/vathals regularly, I prepared this at home as one of the reader has asked for it through the comments column.
The preparation varies from home to home slightly and even the names used for these varies. So in general terms, I call it as Rice or Arisi Vathals. The dough to make these vathals can be prepared at home easily and with the same dough 3 to 4 varieties of vathals can be prepared. All vathals have to be deep fried after sun drying.
I made this dough with rice flour, lemon juice, green chilli, asafetida powder and salt. I soaked raw rice for 2 hours, drained the water, dried it and finely powdered it as rice flour. The mould used to make Idiyappam (string hoppers) can be used to make vathal.
- Rice flour – 4 cup
- Green chilli – 8 to 10 no
- Lemon juice – ½ cup approximately
- Asafetida powder – ½ tsp
- Water – 12 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Boil 12 cups of water; in the mean time grind salt, asafetida powder and green chili to a paste with ½ cup water; filter and keep the juice; this is to avoid blocking of holes in the mould when pressing the dough with the mould.
- Add this juice in boiling water and mix; now add rice flour slowly.
- Stir continuously to form a dough without lumps in low flame; cover and cool; now add lemon juice and knead it to a soft dough so that you can press in the mould very easily (if needed sprinkle some water and knead).
- This is the basic dough we need to make vathal and this will be slightly sticky.
- Lemon juice can be replaced with sour curd.
- I used three cups of water for one cup of rice flour.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!