Cooking time: approximately 30 minutes
- Toor dal or yellow split peas – 1 cup
- Tamarind pulp or thick juice – 1 table spoon (or soak a small lemon size tamarind in ¼ cup of water for five minutes; squeeze and filter the juice)
- Drumstick : 8 to 10 pieces
- Sour Tomato – 1 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves – few
- Asafetida powder (hing) – ½ tea spoon
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Salt – according to taste
- Sambar powder – 2 tea spoon full or
- if you don’t have sambar powder, use items below
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tea spoon full
- For seasoning
- Mustard, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds – ¼ tea spoon each
- Red chilli – 1 no
- curry leaves – few
- Boil toor dal with ¼ tea spoon turmeric powder and a few drops of oil in a pressure cooker.
- After cooling down, mash it and keep aside.
- Chop drum stick,green chilli,onion,tomato and curry leaves.
- Take 2 cup of water, add chopped vegetable and other chopped items.
- Add sambar powder,salt,hing powder,and tamarind juice.
- Boil this till the vegetables are soft and if necessary add more water to cook.
- Now add mashed toor dal, cook for 5 minutes.
- Now give seasoning and serve hot.
- Toor dal must be fully cooked and mashed.
- Toor dal can be soaked for 30 minutes before pressure cooking.
Sambar can also be made with anyone or in combinations of the vegetables like: brinjal, radish, ash guard, beans, carrot, capsicum, potato.