Tomatoes are available in different shapes and sizes. Green tomato is cooked whereas red tomato can be cooked or used raw in salads. Tomato has antioxidants and also help to protect us from harmful UV rays. They are rich in vitamin A and C.
I prepare this chutney when time is less or during electricity failure as there is no need to use a mixer. As this is prepared thin as a liquid, it suits with almost all south Indian snacks.
- Red tomato – 4 no
- Green chilli – 4 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Curry and coriander leaves – few
- Split black gram – ½ tea spoon
- Asafetida (hing) powder – pinch
- Wash, cut the tomatoes, add salt and mash it with hands well till skin of tomatoes separate out; remove the skin.
- Add half cup water, turmeric, red chilli, coriander powders.
- Heat a pan, add oil, do the seasoning; add slit green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Add mashed tomato mix, bring to boil and cook in a low flame for 5 minutes; adjust water consistency.
- Garnish with coriander and curry leaves.
- Mash tomatoes with hands; this gives good texture to chutney.