Every year I used to buy cake to celebrate my wedding anniversary (February 12th). This year I thought of baking at home. As my family members like cakes with traditional flavors without cream, I baked two simple eggless sponge cakes. One with cardamom flavor and the other with cashew nuts and raisins. I used milk for mixing the cake flour and the result was an awesome sponge cake. I baked this cardamom cake in microwave oven in convection cooking mode.
Cardamom is known as Elaichi in Hindi and as Ellakkai or Yellakai in Tamil.
Cooking time: 45 minutes including baking time
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Condensed milk – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tea spoon
- Milk – ½ cup approximately
- Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate) – ½ tea spoon
- Salt less melted butter – ⅓ cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tea spoon
- Mix milk, condensed milk, melted butter in a container and keep (item A); sieve twice the flour, soda bi carbonate, baking powder, cardamom powder in another container (item B); now mix both item A and B; mix it in one direction till the batter comes to dropping consistency like idli batter.
- Now preheat the oven for 10 minutes; now grease the cake mould (size 6 inch x 6 inch x 2 inch) with butter, dust it with some flour; pour the cake batter and bake it at 200 degrees for 20 minutes; check it with a skewer in the centre to confirm whether it is done or not; when it is done, allow it to cool.
- Then reverse it on a serving plate.
- Now Elaichi flavored spongy cake is ready. Cut into pieces as required.
- Here is a cutaway section of Eggless Elaichi Cake.
- As milk is used instead of water, the cake will be spongy.
- The sugar in condensed milk is enough for sweetness. If you want it more sweeter, add powdered sugar in milk and butter.
- Do not melt butter directly on flame. Keep the required butter in a container and keep the container in warm water for butter to melt.
- Baking time and temperature may vary slightly from oven to oven of different brands.
Update: April 22, 2011
Temperature specified is Celsius.