Figs are well known for their nutritive value and they give a lovely taste and delicious flavor when they are added in cakes. Dried figs are easily available in the market. The crunchiness of the seeds in dried figs give different feel while we eat them.
This Upside Down Dried Figs and Orange Cake that I baked was so soft and moist, I feel it is worthy to bake this cake often.
- All purpose flour/maida – 2 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – half cup
- Warm water – half cup
- Dried figs – 16 no
- Orange – 1 no
- Semolina/rava – 2 tablespoon
- Baking powder – one and half teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – pinch
- Soak dried figs in warm water for 15 minutes, drain and keep.
- Keep half of the figs to spread in the cake mould; coarsely grind the remaining figs; grate the orange skin slightly and keep the zest of one orange; squeeze the juice also from orange and keep.
- Take butter, orange juice, little warm water in a jar and blend well by using a blender.
- Sieve all purpose flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder twice and mix well; add semolina, orange zest, honey, coarsely ground fig with the flour.
- Mix well; now add blended butter-orange juice mixture with the flour and mix gently.
- Take a round cake mould, grease and lightly dust it with all purpose flour; place the figs in the bottom as shown; pour the cake mix above this slowly and spread it evenly.
- Bake it for 160 degree Celsius for 30 minutes; check with a tooth pick; if it comes clean, then the cake is ready.
- Cool for few minutes, invert it on a tray.
- Now Upside Down Dried Figs and Orange Cake is ready.
- Cut and serve.