Sesame is known as Ellu in Tamil and as Til in Hindi. It is a small seed used mostly to extract oil. Sesame oil is good for health and is believed to cure mouth ulcers and to improve skin texture. Sesame is available in black and white colour. Sesame seeds are used to make Laddus, Podi (powder), Chikki (candy) and as a spice in Curry.
Here I have prepared Ellu Thuvayal, a tasty dish that can be served as side dish for Idli, Dosa or Rice. We can use any type of sesame either black or white to prepare this thuvayal.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Black sesame seeds – ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Red chilli – 4 no (adjust as per your taste)
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Tamarind – small marble size ball (adjust as per your taste)
- Salt – as per taste
- Sesame may contain small stone like impurities; it is better to wash and filter it.
- Dry roast sesame in a pan till it splutters; you can observe the swollen up seeds after frying; peel garlic; now with 2 or 3 drops of oil, fry red chilli and remove.
- In a mixer grinder put red chilli, garlic, salt and coconut; run the mixer for few seconds till it is fully powdered.
- Now add sesame, grind well; add some water, grind it partially and remove.
- Sesame Thuvayal is ready now; serve with hot Idli, Dosa or Rice.
- Garlic gives a nice flavor to the thuvayal. Those who don’t like garlic, may replace it with some asafetida while frying red chilli.
This post is part of the event “Cooking With Seeds – Sesame Seeds” hosted by Priya’s Easy N Tasty Recipes.