Here is Fresh Peanuts (Pachai Verkadalai) and Potato Curry. As fresh peanuts taste little sweet in this curry, it is liked very much by my family. I used all fresh spices (except turmeric) to make this curry very aromatic and tasty. I added some potato also in this curry to make it more tasty.
Fresh peanuts are known as Pachai Verkadalai (பச்சை வேர்கடலை) in Tamil.
- Shelled peanuts – 2 cups
- Potato- 2 no
- Onion – 2 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – quarter teaspoon
- Mustard – half teaspoon for seasoning
- Curry and coriander leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- For grinding
- Grated coconut – 2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli – 4 no
- Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon soaked for 15 minutes in water
- Coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Fennel seeds – half teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – half teaspoon
- Boil potatoes and peanuts in a cooker separately (add little salt with peanuts); filter water from the peanuts; this water has more nutrients and this can be added later in the curry if required; peel and cut potato into small pieces.
- Chop onion, green chilli and tomato; soak poppy seeds for 15 minutes in water.
- Fry items given for grinding (except grated coconut and soaked poppy seeds) in few drops of oil.
- Now wet grind all items including grated coconut and soaked poppy seeds to a fine paste by adding enough water.
- Heat a pan with oil; do seasoning with mustard and curry leaves; add chopped onion, green chilli and fry till the onion is transparent.
- Now add tomato, ginger garlic paste, salt and turmeric powder; cook till the tomato is soft.
- Now add the ground paste and some water; mix and cook this for few minutes.
- Add cut potato pieces and boiled peanuts; add water as per the consistency you need; cook all together for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Fresh Peanuts (Pachai Verkadalai) and Potato Curry is now ready. Serve hot with steamed rice or chappati.
- If you do not have fresh peanuts, soak dried (not roasted ones) peanuts overnight and try this dish.