Gobi Paratha is a popular dish of north India. Big fresh Cauliflowers are available in plenty during winter. Cauliflower is called Phool Gobi in Hindi (not to get confused with Cabbage, that is called Bandh Gobi in Hindi).
Gobi Paratha is very good for breakfast or as Brunch on holidays. No other side dish is required except fresh curd and pickle. The stuffing differs from home to home. I grate the florets of cauliflower, add spice mildly in it and use it for stuffing. I use remaining part of cauliflower to make other dishes. The grated florets look like small granules.
- Cauliflower chopped – 3 cups
- Onion – 1 no
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 1½ inch long piece
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – for making parathas
- For paratha dough
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Salt – as per taste (or optional)
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Dough for paratha: In a bowl add wheat flour, salt; add water and knead to a soft dough; apply oil over it, cover and keep for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cauliflower for stuffing: Finely chop onion, green chilli, garlic and ginger; heat a pan with oil; add green chilli, ginger, garlic and fry till soft; add onion and fry till transparent.
- Add chopped cauliflower florets, salt and other spices.
- Cook for few minutes (chopped florets cooks very fast); cool and keep aside.
- Now stuffing for paratha is ready.
- Stuffing of Paratha: Now divide the dough into medium size balls; shape it like a cup and fill with the stuffing.
- Close with edges (like making modaks); roll gently, pat it, sprinkle some dry flour on the rolling board and roll it.
- Cook it on a hot skillet; spread oil lightly on both sides.
- Repeat this for remaining dough also.
- If this is difficult for you, you can do it by half moon method also. In both methods, parathas puff out well.
- Select fresh cauliflower that is easy to grate.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!