Godhumai Rava (Broken Wheat) Sweet Pidi Kozhukattai is a steamed delicacy and it is suitable to be offered as Prasad (offering to god). It also suits well as a dish to be served after fasting.
Broken wheat is known as Godhumai Rava (கோதுமை ரவா) in Tamil.
- Broken wheat – 1 cup
- Jaggery roughly chopped – half cup
- Cardamom – 3 no
- Small chopped coconut pieces – 1 tablespoon
- Cashew nut – 5 no (break into small pieces)
- Dry ginger powder – pinch
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cup
- Heat a pan with ghee, fry cashew pieces and remove; add coconut pieces, fry for few seconds and remove.
- Add broken wheat in the remaining ghee; fry till you get nice aroma or till it turns into red in colour; remove, keep it in a tray and allow it to cool.
- Take jaggery in a pan; add two cups of water; heat and stir it for few seconds or till jaggery dissolves fully; filter this to remove impurities if any.
- Heat this jaggery water in a pan; when it boils, add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and mix well.
- Slowly add the fried broken wheat and mix well; when it starts boiling, add fried cashew, coconut pieces.
- Keep cooking till water evaporates and gets thick so that it can be shaped into small size balls.
- Allow it to cool; with your hand press it to round or oval shape; steam cook it for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Now Godhumai Rava (Broken Wheat) Sweet Pidi Kozhukattai is ready.
- Use non stick pan for less ghee consumption.