Kuzhi Paniyaram is a wonderful snack of south India. Idli/dosa batter is used for this mostly. Some people grind batter separately for this. Both sweet and savory paniyaram can be prepared. The batter can also be prepared with different legumes and different cereals in different combination.
Here is Green Gram Sweet Kuzhi Paniyaram using sprouted green gram.
- Sprouted green gram – 1½ cups
- Raw rice – ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Grated jaggery – ½ to ¾ cup (depending on the sweetness of jaggery)
- Cardamom – 4 no
- Ghee/oil – 1 table spoon for cooking paniyarams
- Soak rice for half an hour; grind green gram, cardamom and rice smoothly.
- Add coconut, jaggery and grind to a fine paste; this should be like idli/dosa batter; keep it for 30 minutes.
- Heat paniyaram mould, grease with some oil or ghee; pour the batter and as it gets cooked it starts leaving the sides.
- Turn and cook the other side also; to check whether it is cooked insert a tooth pick; if it is cooked the tooth pick should come out clean.
- Green Gram Sweet Kuzhi Paniyarams are ready. Serve it for any meal.
- This paniyaram will be softer as rice is very less and green gram is more.
- Cook in low flame for better results as jaggery tends to brown quickly.
This post is part of the event “Kid’s Delight – Wholesome Breakfast” hosted by Srivalli of Spice Your Life.