Nowadays people are more health conscious. They prefer to improve their diet with more non-glutinous and nutritious cereals. Pearl millet is a healthy cereal with all these health benefits. Pearl millet is well-known in rural area. Now it is popular in urban area also as it is available in every super market.
Soft, steam cooked idli (இட்லி) can be easily prepared with pearl millet as the main ingredient.
Pearl Millet is known as ‘Kambu’ (கம்பு) in Tamil and as ‘Bajra’ in Hindi.
- Pearl millet/kambu – 3 cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Split black gram/urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – half teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Clean, soak pearl millet and rice for 5 to 6 hours; soak black gram and fenugreek for 1 hour.
- Grind both separately as we do for normal idli batter; here grinding of urad dal is shown.
- Here grinding of pearl millet with rice is shown.
- Mix both batter, add salt and again mix well; cover and keep for fermentation for 6 to 8 hours.
- Grease idli mould; mix the batter well and fill the moulds; steam cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with any chutney as you wish. Here Tomato Chutney is shown.
- Rice can be raw rice or boiled rice. I used raw rice.