Ice creams are always in demand in our family during this summer season. I prefer to add seasonal fruits in ice cream. During this summer, as plenty of mangoes are available I used mangoes to give rich taste and flavor to ice cream.
Ripe mango is known as Mampazham in Tamil and as Aam in Hindi.
- Full cream milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 1 cup (adjust as per sweetness of mango)
- Mango puree – 3 cup
- Fresh cream – 200 ml
- Corn flour – 2 table spoon
- Pistachio – few for garnishing (optional)
- Salt – pinch
- Wash and cut mangoes; remove the fleshy part, blend without adding water and keep (3 cups of mango puree are needed).
- Dissolve corn flour in ½ cup of milk; boil the remaining milk in a wide pan till it reduces to ⅓ by volume.
- Add sugar, dissolved corn flour and let it boil for few minutes; remove and cool it.
- After cooling, add this with fresh cream, mango puree, pinch of salt in a blender and pulse it for few minutes.
- Pour the mix in air tight container and keep it in the freezer; after one hour remove, put it in the blender and run it for few minutes; keep again in freezer; repeat this 2 to 3 times to avoid crystal formation in ice cream; it took 8 to 10 hours to set as ice cream in my refrigerator.
- Now Homemade Mango (Mampazham/Aam) Ice Cream is ready.
- Serve ice cream with chopped pistachio.
- Use mangoes that have nice flavor with more flesh and less fiber.