Cooking time: less than 20 minutes, if idli batter is available.
Ingredients for Idlis
- idli batter – 8 cups for twenty idlis
- Take idli moulds, grease them with oil or ghee.
- Mix the batter well; it should be like a cake batter to fall freely but should be thick; add little water if required.
- Fill up moulds with idli batter; if you want to cook mini idlis, use mini idli mould.
- Now carefully keep the mould in cooker; close with lid and do not place cooker weight.
- Steam cook in low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove moulds from pressure cooker, allow them to cool.
- Remove idlis, gently from the moulds with knife or spoon.
- Store idlis in a casserole (hot pack) to keep them hot.
- If you add too much water to idli batter, idli will not be fluffy.
- Refrigerate idli batter to keep it fresh.
Serve Idlis or mini idlis with chutney and sambar.