Cashew can be dry roasted in a pan and then powdered. The purpose is to make the cashew crisp. First heat the pan and switch off flame. Now put the cashew and stir in between in regular interval till crisp. You may repeat this process if required. Dry roasting with the pan on flame may lead to over roasting and cashew may become oily/sticky while powdering.
I roasted cashew nuts till crisp in microwave oven for one minute and by stirring it at 20 seconds interval. Then I powdered it coarsely.
Cashew nut is known as Munthiri Paruppu in Tamil and as Kaju in Hindi.
- Cashew nut – 1 cup
- Sugar – ¾ to 1 cup (one cup gives full sweetness)
- Cardamom powder or any other flavor – ½ tea spoon
- Water – 4 table spoon
- Ghee – few drops
- Powder cashew nut; add sugar in a pan with water and heat it in moderate flame; grease a tray and keep ready.
- When sugar starts boiling, lower the flame, cook for one third consistency; make sure the sugar is fully melted; if you are not comfortable to find one third consistency, add a drop of boiling sugar in little water; if that settles in one place without spreading/dissolving that is fine for this.
- Switch off gas (fire), add powdered cashew nut, cardamom powder; mix well by stirring continuously for few minutes till the mix forms as a lump.
- Spread the cashew-sugar mix on the greased tray (if you want thin pieces, spread it to a thin layer); when warm cut into pieces.
- Now Kaju Katli (Cashew Burfi) is ready.
- Water needed is just to wet the sugar; do not add more water in sugar.