Curry leaves are good for health. It is part of the seasoning done in most of the south Indian dishes. It gives nice flavor to the dishes. In south Indian meals, Thuvayal is a healthy side dish. Most of the time it is prepared with vegetables like brinjal, chow-chow, coriander leaves, radish etc.
Here is Karuveppilai (Curry Leaves) Thuvayal that is simple and easy to prepare.
Curry Leaves are known as Karuveppilai in Tamil and as Kadhi Patta in Hindi.
Cooking time: 10 to 15 minutes
- Curry leaves (Karuveppilai) – 2 cups
- Coconut – ½ of full coconut
- Red chilli – 4 to 5 no
- Urad dal/split black gram – handful
- Asafetida hard – small peanut size
- Tamarind – as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Grate coconut; fry red chilli, urad dal and asafetida with few drops of oil; wash and fry curry leaves till the colour changes to dark green and little crisp; fry grated coconut slightly.
- Now cool this and grind all together with tamarind and salt to a thick paste.
- Suits well with Idli, Dosa, Rice or any other snacks.
- Interestingly when you buy vegetables, Karuveppilai is given free even now in Tamil Nadu.
- It is better to make use of Karuveppilai instead of wasting it.