Most of us suffer from Common Cold occasionally. This happens mostly during rainy season/cold climate and sometimes after drinking chilled water/soft drinks or even after eating ice cream. The symptoms of common cold are: continuous sneezing, blocked nose (difficult to breathe) or runny nose, sore throat, cough and symptoms like headache, feverishness, chilliness, body ache and not feeling well in general.
Here is a simple kashayam or herbal juice or folk cure, to overcome this common cold (If you have severe cold, it is better to approach the nearest hospital for treatment). As far as possible, we take home medicines for common ailments. These are passed on, from generation to generation through our elders and followed. This kashayam is prepared with common spices available at home and with some herbs available in stores selling herbal medicines.
The herbs used are:
- ‘Athimadhuram’ (in Tamil) – also known as ‘Glycyrrhiza Glabra’ or as ‘Liquorice’ in English.
- ‘Chitharathai’ (in Tamil) – also known as ‘alpinia galangal’ or as ‘thai ginger’ or ‘finger root’.
Relevant English names of the herbs used are available in Wikipedia.
- Black pepper – 1 tea spoon
- Cardamom – 20 to 25 no
- Coriander seeds – 1 table spoon
- Athimadhuram – 3 small pieces (as seen in photo)
- Chitharathai – 2 small pieces (as seen in photo)
- Sukku or dry ginger – 3 small pieces (as seen in photo)
- Break Athimadhuram, Chitharathai and Sukku into small pieces; dry roast all the six items together just to make them warm when you touch (I did this in microwave oven).
- Grind it as powder and put it in a air tight container and keep.
- Khashayam preparation:
- for adults: put half tea spoon of this powder in one cup of water and boil for 3 to 4 minutes; filter, add little sugar or honey and drink it warm twice a day.
- for children above five years: put half tea spoon of this powder in one cup of milk and boil for 3 to 4 minutes; filter, add little sugar or honey and drink it warm twice a day.
- Athimadhuram is a root and when chewed tastes little sweet.
- As and when required, buy these herbs fresh from the stores instead of storing them at home for long time.
- Do not prepare kashayam powder in large quantity. Better to prepare it on need basis.
This post is part of the event “Home Remedies (HR- Series 1)” hosted by A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine.
- Name & Reason for which the remedy is prepared: Kashayam or Herbal Juice to treat Common Cold.
- Oral consumption or topical application: Oral consumption.
- For whom Kids/Adults/ALL/Specific Gender: for adults and children above five years.