Kosambari is a type of fresh salad. It is a popular dish in Karnataka, also prepared in other southern states at festive times. Usually it is prepared with soaked split Green gram (passi paruppu) or Bengal gram (channa dal). Sometimes fresh vegetables are added in it. Also coconut and raw mango or lemon juice can be added and seasoning with mustard is must. It is a mix of lentils, vegetables and with only few drops of oil used, it is very good for health. Except seasoning, all items are raw so nutritive value is more. Good for people who are in diet. Here I prepared it with sprouted green gram and with salad vegetables. It is very much colourful and also attractive to eyes.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Sprouted green gram – 1/2 cup
- Bell pepper or Capsicum chopped – 2 table spoon
- Carrot chopped – 2 table spoon
- Cucumber chopped – 2 table spoon
- Tomato cut, seeds removed and chopped – 2 table spoon
- Coriander leaves chopped – 2 table spoon
- Green chilli chopped – 1 no
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Fresh coconut cut in to small pieces – 1 table spoon
- Fresh coconut grated, for garnishing – 1 table spoon
- Lemon juice – 2 table spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – 1/2 tea spoon
- Urad dal – 1/2 tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Cooking oil – 1/2 tea spoon
- Curry leaves chopped – 1 table spoon
- Asafetida – pinch
- Mix all the above items and do the seasoning; garnish with grated coconut.
- During mango season, you can use raw mango instead of lemon.
- Vegetables like beet root and radish can also be added.