Idli suits as the healthy breakfast. This plain white colored idli, can also be made more colorful, flavored and nutrient by adding some coriander leaves in the idli batter. Coriander is used often as flavoring agent and also as green leafy vegetable in Indian kitchen. When you have plenty of fresh coriander leaves, you can try this Kothamalli (Coriander Leaves) Idli.
I cooked these idlis in microwave oven but this can be steam cooked as normal idli.
Coriander Leaves are known as Kothamalli in Tamil.
- Idli batter – 2 cups (How to prepare idli batter is at Batter for Idli and Dosa)
- Fresh coriander chopped – ½ cup
- Green chilli chopped – 3 no
- Asafetida powder – pinch
- Add chopped green chilli, asafetida in the idli batter and mix well; grease the idli mould with few drops of oil.
- Fill some coriander leaves in the mould, then pour some idli batter.
- Again fill with some coriander leaves and fill it with idli batter.
- Cook it in microwave oven or steam it as we cook normal idli (I cooked in full power for two minutes).
- Serve hot with any chutney. Here I have served it with Coconut Chutney.
- Have a closer look of Kothamalli (Coriander Leaves) Idli.
- Follow safety precautions as given in your microwave oven user manual.
- Cooking time may differ for different brands of microwave ovens.