Capsicum/Bell Pepper is used in many dishes from sambar to salad and is available in many colours. Here is Kudamilagai Puli Pachadi (Capsicum/Bell Pepper in Sweet and Sour Sauce). I used green colour bell pepper to make this pachadi, but any colour can be used. This sweet and sour pachadi, goes well as a side dish.
Capsicum is known as Kudamilagai (குடமிளகாய்) in Tamil and as Shimla Mirch in Hindi.
- Chopped bell pepper – one cup
- Tamarind – gooseberry size (soaked and juice extracted)
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Jaggery or sugar – as per taste
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per need
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- To dry roast and powder
- Red chilli – 3 no
- Fenugreek seeds – quarter teaspoon
- Asafetida – generous pinch
- Dry roast and coarsely grind the given ingredients.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning with mustard; then add curry leaves, chopped capsicum and fry for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and fry.
- When capsicum is half done, add tamarind juice and keep cooking till the capsicum is soft.
- Now add dry roasted and ground powder; break jaggery into small pieces and add.
- Cook for few minutes till all mix well.
- Serve as a side dish.
- Here I have used a type of jaggery called ‘achu vellam’ (அச்சு வெல்லம்) in Tamil.