Here is Kurumilagu (Fresh Green Peppercorns) Oorukai (Pickle). In my childhood, I enjoyed this pickle prepared by my mother. I love this pickle as it is oil-free. This pickle is very easy to prepare.
Fresh green peppercorn is known as kurumilagu (குறுமிளகு) in Tamil.
- Green peppercorn bunch – 100 gram
- Crystal salt (called as kalluppu – கல் உப்பு in Tamil) – half cup
- Turmeric powder – half teaspoon
- Lemon – 4 no (half cup juice approximately)
- Water – 2 cups
- Boil two cups of water in a pan; when it starts boiling, add crystal salt, turmeric powder; boil it for few more seconds; remove and allow it to cool completely.
- Rinse green peppercorns in water (without breaking into pieces) with stalks and dry it on a towel to absorb water; now put green peppercorns in a bowl; add salt-turmeric water.
- Add lemon juice.
- Transfer this to a glass jar; green peppercorns must be fully submerged.
- Let it remain for 4 to 5 days. There after this Kurumilagu (Fresh Green Peppercorns) Oorukai (Pickle) can be used. This is how it looks after 5 days. It tastes hot, sour and salty.
- Shake the jar once or twice daily.