Lauki (Bottle Gourd) is called as ‘Suraikai’ in Tamil. This contains almost 95% water. It plays a vital role in Ayurveda treatment. It is used to treat urinary disorders. After cooking also, bottle guard is very light and soothing. As this gives fewer calories, it is good for diet conscious people. This is easily available vegetable all over India.
I cooked this sabji in microwave oven.
Cooking time: 18 minutes.
- Lauki (Bottle Gourd) medium size: 650 grams approximately
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin seed – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Cooking oil – 1 tea spoon
I did the whole cooking in 100% microwave power. I used two microwave safe dishes: one square dish and one small bowl.
- Peel and cut lauki into evenly shaped pieces.
- Put this in a microwave proof container; close partially and microwave on high for 8 minutes; no need to add water; in between, stir the contents.
- Mean time chop onion, tomato and curry leaves.
- Remove cooked lauki from oven; transfer the contents.
- Put the seasoning in a small microwave safe bowl; mix 2 drops of oil; cover partially and microwave on high for 3 minutes and remove.
- In the emptied large micro safe dish, add oil, chopped onion, tomato, and some curry leaves; mix well, close and microwave on high for 3 minutes; after 2 minutes add all dry masalas and seasoning from the small bowl; mix well and continue for one remaining minute.
- Now add boiled lauki and mix well; microwave on high for 4 minutes; in between stir once or twice.
- Switch off oven; wait for 2 to 3 minutes (this is called standing time); take out, garnish with remaining curry leaves and serve with Chappati or Rice.
- Follow safety precautions and operating procedures as mentioned in your user manual for microwave oven.
This post is part of MEC: Potluck Party! organized by Cooking4allseasons.