Bottle gourd contains plenty of water and is very good to eat it in summer season. It is easy to cook and is easily digestible for all. I use bottle gourd to prepare adai, kofta, vegetable smoothie including sabji fully cooked in microwave oven. Here is the simple, easy to cook Lauki/Suraikai/Bottle Gourd Round Fry.
I cooked the bottle gourd pieces partially in microwave oven before frying them. This made the job quick with less oil and time. If you don’t want to use microwave oven, you can directly cook it in fry pan or steam cook it partially before frying as per your convenience.
For this recipe select a tender, small bottle gourd so that it won’t have much seeds.
Bottle gourd is called as Lauki in Hindi and as Dudhi or Ghiya in some parts of India. It is called as suraikai (சுரைக்காய்) in Tamil.
- Medium size bottle gourd – 1 no
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – quarter teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – half teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per need
- For seasoning
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – half teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Lightly scrape the outer skin of the bottle gourd with a knife; wash and cut it into quarter inch thick round slices; coat bottle gourd slices with salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and ginger-garlic paste.
- I partially cooked this in microwave oven for few minutes (or you may directly season them in a pan as per the next step).
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; place the bottle gourd pieces in the pan without overlapping each other.
- Cook in low flame for few minutes, till all get roasted well; toss them in between few times.
- Now tasty Lauki/Suraikai/Bottle Gourd Round Fry is ready.
- Too thick slices may take long time to cook and too thin slices may break while frying.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!