Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
- Lemon – 2 (juice)
- Green chilli – 3 no
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves – few
- Asafetida (hing) – 2 pinch
- Green gram split – 1/4 cup
- Tomato large – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera) and Black pepper, coarsely powdered – 1 tea spoon each
- Salt – according to taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Boil the green gram in a pressure cooker, mash well, keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and slit chilli lengthwise.
- In a pan, add 4 cups of water with slit green chilli, few curry leaves, chopped tomatoes, salt, hing, coarsely powdered cumin & pepper seeds and turmeric powder.
- Boil it for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 3 more cups of water, mashed green gram dal and heat it.
- Just before boiling add the coriander leaves and switch off gas burner.
- Do the seasoning in ghee and let it cool it for 15 minutes.
- Now add lemon juice, mix well and now Lemon Rasam is ready. Can be served with rice or taken as a soup.
- Lemon juice is to be added only after cooling down.
- Cumin seeds and black pepper must be in coarse powder form.