Raw mango rice is a variety rice with mango flavor and the tangy taste is enjoyed by most of the people. This simple dish needs less time to prepare and is suitable for lunch box also. To retain mango flavor and the nutrients, I do not over-cook raw mango.
Raw mango is known as Maangai in Tamil and as Kachcha Aam in Hindi. Rice (cooked) is known as Sadam in Tamil and as Chawal in Hindi.
- Cooked rice – 4 cup
- Raw mango peeled and grated – 2 cup
- Sugar – little (to balance the sourness of mango)
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Bengal gram – 1 table spoon
- Urad dal – 1 table spoon
- Mustard – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 4 no
- Green chilli cut – 4 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning with the given ingredients and fry for few seconds; add grated raw mango, salt and fry for few seconds.
- Now add little sugar and fry for few seconds.
- Cool it.
- Mix with cooked rice. Now Maangai Sadam/Raw Mango Rice/Kachcha Aam ka Chawal is ready. Serve with any side dish.
- Cooked rice used for this dish, should not be sticky.