- Rice soaking time – one hour
- Rice drying time – 30 minutes
- Further preparation time – 10 minutes
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom – few
- Ghee – 1 tea spoon
- Soak rice for one hour; drain and spread it on a cotton cloth for 30 minutes.
- It should be partially dry now; grind it in a mixer to a dry powder.
- Chop or powder the jiggery and powder the cardamom.
- Now mix rice powder , cardamom powder , jiggery and ghee.
- Mix well all so that you can shape it like a ball.
- Make a small pit in the top centre of the ball, to fill with ghee and put cotton thread as shown.
- Decorate and light it for Puja.
Maavelakku is also offered in Puja, during the Tamil month of Thai (mid January to mid February)
- No need to mix water to make Maavelakku.