Macaroni, dry pasta can also be used to prepare a simple and yummy kheer. Children will find this kheer/payasam more attractive. This Macaroni Pasta Kheer/Payasam can be served chilled or hot as both taste good.
Payasam (பாயசம்) in Tamil is equivalent of kheer in Hindi.
- Macaroni – 1 cup
- Full milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – half cup (adjust as per taste)
- Cashew nut – 12 no
- Raisins – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – pinch
- Saffron strings – few
- Ghee - 1 teaspoon
- Take a wide pan (I used a non-stick one), add ghee and roast cashew and raisins; remove and keep aside.
- Fry macaroni with the remaining ghee in low flame for one to two minutes; now add milk and keep the flame full.
- As it boils, stir milk in between to avoid it from browning/blackening; the milk will get thickened and the macaroni will also get cooked.
- When the milk is reduced to half in volume and the macaroni is cooked well, add sugar and cook for few minutes in low flame.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron stings in the end; remove from fire when you get the consistency of your choice; garnish with cashew and raisins.
- Macaroni Pasta Kheer/Payasam is now ready. Serve hot or cold.
- As it cools down, the kheer will become thick due to starch in macaroni; the consistency of kheer may be accordingly adjusted.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!