This winter season gave me a chance to buy plenty of fresh legumes. Many fresh legumes started sprouting in the fridge without any efforts. I used these legumes in Pongal Kootu, Fresh Rajma and Banana Pepper Stir Fry, Fresh Green Peas Spread, Fresh Mochai (Field Beans) Stir Fry. With remaining fresh legumes I cooked a fast food using macaroni.
Sprouts with macaroni is a tasty and healthy meal. My son likes macaroni and I also started liking it when cooked with sprouts. To make it faster, I cooked this in pressure cooker as per the instructions given by the manufacturer.
Cooking Time: less than 30 minutes
- Macaroni – 2 cups
- Fresh peas sprout – ½ cup
- Double beans or Lima beans sprouts – ½ cup
- Butter beans sprouts – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Coriander leaves – few
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Capsicum and carrot one each – chopped for garnishing
- Chop onion, green chilli, coriander and tomato; in a pressure cooker add oil and fry onion, green chilli; fry till onion is golden in colour; now add tomato, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds.
- Add dry masalas, salt and fry for few minutes.
- Add all sprouts and mix well.
- Now add 3½ cups of water; (I used 1½ cup water for each cup of macaroni and additional ½ cup for sprouts); mix well.
- Now add macaroni and mix well.
- Pressure cook and when steam comes well put the cooker weight and keep in low flame for 5 to 6 minutes; allow it to cool and then open.
- Mix well, garnish with capsicum, carrot and serve hot.
- As water quantity and cooking time may vary for different brands of macaroni, follow manufacturers instructions.
This post is part of the fourth edition of the event “Food for 7 stages of Life – Healthy Fast Food (25-34 yrs)” hosted by Radhika Vasanth and Cook Like a Bong.