Mangai Inji (Curcuma Amada) is very good for health especially to cure stomach disorders. I use Mangai Inji to prepare Pickle with less oil and spices. Here is another delicious Thokku prepared with Mangai Inji.
It is a perfect side dish for curd rice. It can remain fresh up to 2 weeks in fridge and for 4 to 5 days without refrigeration.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Mangai Inji – 250 gram
- Black pepper – 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli – 6 to 8 no
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Asafetida powder – ⅙ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Tamarind – small lemon size (adjust as per your taste)
- Curry leaves – few
- Sugar – 1 tea spoon (optional – helps to balance all taste)
- Salt – as per taste
- Sesame/any oil – 1½ table spoon
- Wash, peel and slice mangai inji; put it in a mixer, add tamarind, salt, sugar, asafetida powder, red chilli and black pepper; grind them well to a thick paste with little water.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add half of given oil, do the seasoning with mustard, urad dal and curry leaves; then add ground paste, mix well and cook in low flame; add remaining oil, keep cooking; you can partially cover the pan with lid if required; adjust salt and cook till oil separates from it; remove and cool.
- Enjoy with curd rice or even with snacks.
- Preserve it in an air tight container.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!