Phirni is a popular desert of north India. It tastes almost like kheer or paal payasam. It is a little thick, creamy rice pudding. This is prepared in many flavors by adding nuts, dry fruits or fresh fruits. It is preserved and served in earthen pots. I love this dessert for its simplicity.
- Full cream milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – ½ cup (adjust as per sweetness of mango)
- Rice rava – ½ cup (here is How to Prepare Rice Rava?)
- Ripe mango cut and scooped – 2 no
- Cardamom – few
- Saffron strands – few
- Almond and pistachio chopped – 1 table spoon each for garnishing
- Powder cardamom and keep; puree the scooped mango in a blender and keep; soak saffron in 1 table spoon of warm milk.
- Boil milk in a wide pan; add rice rava, cook till the milk is reduced to half in volume and rava is cooked; add sugar, dissolved saffron and cook for few more minutes.
- Cool it, then add mango puree, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Garnish with nuts and chill it in a refrigerator.
- Now Mango (Aam/Mampazha) Phirni is ready.