Tapioca is called as Kappa Kizhangu (கப்ப கிழங்கு) or Maravalli Kizhangu (மரவள்ளி கிழங்கு) in Tamil.
I used grated tapioca in this pancake. You can easily wash, peel the skin and grate tapioca as shown below:
- Skin peeled and grated tapioca – 2 cup
- Rice – half cup
- Toor dal – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Bengal gram – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Urad dal skinned – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Fennel seed – 1 heaped table spoon
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Red chilli – 4 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per need
- Oil – to cook pancakes
- Soak rice, toor dal, Bengal gram and urad dal together for two hours; now grind soaked rice, dal, garlic, red chilli, half of fennel seeds and salt coarsely.
- Now add grated tapioca and run mixer for few seconds; the batter should to be thick and of pouring consistency (add little water if needed to adjust consistency).
- Add curry leaves, remaining fennel seeds and mix well; spread the batter on a hot griddle or tawa; make a small hole in the center of pancake and pour few drops of oil to make it more crisp in the center also.
- Sprinkle little oil and cook both sides in medium heat.
- Remove when golden in colour and crisp.
- Serve hot with any chutney.
- The batter for pancake can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator to prepare easily when needed.