Tapioca is called as Kappa Kizhangu (கப்ப கிழங்கு) or Maravalli Kizhangu (மரவள்ளி கிழங்கு) in Tamil.
I used grated tapioca in this pancake. You can easily wash, peel the skin and grate tapioca as shown below:
- Skin peeled and grated tapioca – 2 cup
- Rice – half cup
- Toor dal – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Bengal gram – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Urad dal skinned – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Fennel seed – 1 heaped table spoon
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Red chilli – 4 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per need
- Oil – to cook pancakes
- Soak rice, toor dal, Bengal gram and urad dal together for two hours; now grind soaked rice, dal, garlic, red chilli, half of fennel seeds and salt coarsely.
- Now add grated tapioca and run mixer for few seconds; the batter should to be thick and of pouring consistency (add little water if needed to adjust consistency).
- Add curry leaves, remaining fennel seeds and mix well; spread the batter on a hot griddle or tawa; make a small hole in the center of pancake and pour few drops of oil to make it more crisp in the center also.
- Sprinkle little oil and cook both sides in medium heat.
- Remove when golden in colour and crisp.
- Serve hot with any chutney.
- The batter for pancake can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator to prepare easily when needed.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!