Preparation of puffed rice is a special process, in which rice grains are expanded several time larger to their original size. This is called ‘Pori’ in Tamil and ‘Murmura or Mori’ in Hindi. Pori is used in bhel items and in chats. They are ready to eat cereals and easily digestible even to small children.
Here I have prepared colurful ‘Masala Pori’ as an attractive snack for children and even to adults.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Pori – 10 cups
- Groundnut or peanut – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Blackgram split – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 4 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Peel and crush garlic; heat a pan, add oil and do the seasoning; add peanuts and fry till roasted in low flame
- Add garlic, curry leaves, turmeric powder and fry for few seconds.
- Switch off gas; add pori and mix for few minutes in the same pan to make pori more crisp.
- Crisp Masala Pori is ready.
- As Pori is already salted, I didn’t add salt.
- To preserve, allow it to cool and keep it in a air tight container.