Matar Chawal is a popular fried rice with green peas, suitable for party occasions. Fresh spices and ghee give a rich flavor and taste to the fried rice. As there is no chilli and any strong spice, this is always kid’s favorite. Matar chawal in green and white colour combination looks great and attracts everyone.
Green peas is known as Matar or Mutter in Hindi and as Pachai Pattani in Tamil. Rice is known as Chawal in Hindi.
Cooking time: 30 to 40 minutes approximately
- Basmati rice – 3 cup
- Green peas – 3 cup
- Ghee/oil – 1½ table spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon juice – few drops
- For seasoning
- Bay leaves – 3 to 4 no
- Black pepper – 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Aniseeds – 1 tea spoon
- Cloves – 3 to 4 no
- Green cardamom – 3 no
- Cinnamon – 1½ inch long stick 1 or 2 no
- Soak rice for 15 minutes and drain the water; heat a cooker with ghee or oil and do the seasoning; fry for few seconds.
- Then add green peas and fry for 1 minute; now add rice and gently fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water (I used 1½ cup water for 1 cup basmati rice), salt, lemon juice and mix; pressure cook (I put the weight after steam starts coming out uniformly and then keep in low flame for 5 minutes); cooking time may vary depending on the type of cooker and cooking method.
- Allow it to cool and then mix gently.
- Serve hot.
- Adding few drops of lemon juice, frying the soaked & drained rice help to cook rice in correct texture and avoid over cooking of rice.
- Fresh green peas taste better in this rice.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!