How safe are the vegetables, fruits and dairy products that we consume everyday ? Read further to know some shocking facts.
Sometimes I see vegetables and fruits in abnormally bigger sizes in the market. I was under the impression that the country’s advanced science and technology has reached fruits and vegetable farming sector. But recent news reports indicate increased misuse of a drug called Oxytocin in fruits, vegetable farming and dairy farming sectors.
Some disturbing facts about the use of this drug Oxytocin are
- this drug Oxytocin is
- injected in the roots of the plants to produce bigger and more quantity of fruits and vegetables.
- injected in cows and buffaloes to produce more milk without considering the side effects caused to the animals.
- to the consumer
- when we consume these fruits/vegetables and dairy products, we are unknowingly consuming this drug that is harmful to our health.
- even before buying, it is not possible to identify and avoid these harmful fruits/vegetables and dairy products.
How to survive ? (When we are not sure whether fruits, vegetables and dairy products are safe to eat)
Read more from
- Indian Express dated July 28, 2010: Minister warns about oxytocin in vegetables
- The Times of India dated June 30, 2009: Veggies on steroids are softly killing you
View some video clips from YouTube:
Update: 01 Aug 2010
Uttar Pradesh government has arrested nearly 260 people within a fortnight for their alleged involvement in adulteration of vegetables. Read more from The Times of India.