Lentils are major part of our food. As the protein supplement, they play an important role in Indian cuisines. Variety of lentils are cooked in Indian cuisines. Mixing up of 3 or 4 variety also gives a change in eating pattern. This gives a colourful look and you get many benefits. If you have little amount of two to three variety of lentils, you can finish all the things together or you get most of the essential nutrients in same serving.
Here I used 4 types of lentils and there is no need to soak for more time too.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approximately other than soaking time of 30 minutes.
- Whole green gram – ½ cup
- Whole black gram – ½ cup
- Bengal gram – ½ cup
- Spilt green gram – ½ cup
- Toor dal – ½ cup
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1½ tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon (for seasoning)
- Curry/coriander leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Soak whole green gram, whole black gram and Bengal gram for 30 minutes; add toor dal, spilt green gram in soaked dal; wash, put it in a cooker, add 6 cups of water, pinch of turmeric powder, few drops of oil and pressure cook till soft.
- Chop onion, tomato, green chilli and curry/coriander leaves.
- Heat a pan, do the seasoning with cumin seeds and curry leaves; add green chilli and fry; add onion, fry till transparent, then add cut tomato and ginger garlic paste; fry these things for a while.
- Add all dry masala powders, mix and cook till all form a thick paste; add half cup of water, bring to boil.
- Add pressure cooked dal, mix and keep cooking for few more minutes; garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or chappati.
- You can also add masoor dal or moth bean in this.
- Select the grams according to the time they take for cooking. All these grams cook almost in same time.
This post is part of ‘My Legume Love Affair (MLLA) – Eighteenth Helping’ hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 all Seasons and scheduled by My Legume Love Affair – The Host Line Up by Susan, The Well-Seasoned Cook.