Here is a simple Mulai Keerai Poondu Masiyal. In this garlic (Poondu in Tamil) is added for flavor either during the seasoning or in the last phase of cooking. Both taste yummy and delicious.
- Cleaned mulai keerai (amaranth) – 3 cup
- Garlic – 2 cloves peeled and crushed
- Corn flour or rice flour – ¼ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 1 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – ½ tea spoon
- Clean, wash mulai keerai and boil it (I did in microwave); cool and mash it partially in mixer or by churner.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; add mashed keerai, salt, crushed garlic; mix corn or rice flour in little water and add; mix well, let all boil for 2 to 3 minutes and then remove.
- Serve hot with rice. This is a lovely combo for Puli Khuzhambu with steamed rice. Half cooked garlic gives a lovely taste.
- Adding rice or corn flour gives a creamy texture to the dish and helps to thicken it.