Narthangai is used to make pickle and pachadi. It tastes like lemon but much bigger in size and is good for health. The ingredients used in this pachadi make it hot and sweet by reducing its sour and bitter taste.
Narthangai (in Tamil) belongs to Citron family.
- Narthangai/citron – one
- Tamarind – marble size
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Jaggery chopped – 2 table spoon
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Asafetida – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – pinch
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Wash, cut narthangai into small pieces and remove all seeds; soak and extract tamarind juice.
- Heat a pan with oil; add mustard and let it splutter; add urad dal, red chilli, asafetida powder and curry leaves.
- Now add narthangai pieces and fry for few minutes.
- Add some water, salt, turmeric powder and let it boil till the narthangai is half cooked; then add tamarind juice and cook till the narthangai is soft.
- Add jaggery, mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Now Narthangai (Citron) Sweet Sour Pachadi is ready. Serve with rice.
- Adjust the quantity of tamarind and jaggery as per the sourness of narthangai.